Let’s talk about Autism, Housing, and the Awesome Power of Coalitions
April 21, 2021
Podcast: Let’s talk about Autism, Housing, and the Awesome Power of Coalitions
Desiree Kameka has been working with children and young adults on the spectrum for over ten years. Her undergraduate degree is from the University of Miami in psychology, emphasizing psychobiology, with a minor in psychological and educational studies. During her time at UM, she developed a program for the University of Miami Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM CARD), which brought together teens on the spectrum and undergraduate students to work on social and life skills through experiential learning and interaction with multidisciplinary university resources.
Desiree earned her master’s degree in theological studies from Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, DC. as well as a post-graduate certificate in Ecumenism from the Washington Theological Consortium. Her work analyzing autism through a theological lens has brought her international recognition as she worked with the World Council of Churches initiative of the Ecumenical Disability Advocates Network and the World Student Christian Association.
Desiree’s work for the Madison House Autism Foundation focuses on researching housing issues, advocating with organizations, families, and autistic adults on housing issues, and presenting her work at local and national gatherings. She visits many residential communities and social enterprises across the USA and abroad to highlight their unique victories and learning curves while sharing stories of residents with autism and other developmental disabilities. Desiree is also the project lead for Madison House’s interactive Autism Housing Network. Her passion is empowering communities to create a future that is exciting and life-affirming for those of all abilities by offering small group consultations for forming projects.
COALITION FOR COMMUNITY CHOICE: DESIREE KAMEKA
The Housing Crisis
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh–XF5gFP8 Facing the Autism Services Cliff: Connor Ridges
- https://youtu.be/Abv8u2JEtDA Stories of Adults Living with Autism: Andrew Swanson
- https://youtu.be/tsvCcEmhYZg Stories of Adults Living with Autism: Jeffrey Morris
A Place in the World
- https://youtu.be/BKzaf_wnR7Y A Place in the World: Fueling Housing & Community Development for Neurodiverse Populations
- PDF: A Place in the World
Housing Options for Adults with Autism by Desiree Kameka
- https://youtu.be/ePlncJcPu5U Housing Options (1/5)
- https://youtu.be/pbr6jpinEq0 Housing Options (2/5)
- https://youtu.be/20wqJmNvaK4 Housing Options (3/5)
- https://youtu.be/4uSwh44LQmc Housing Options (4/5)
- https://youtu.be/Xt-QhSXCRUw Housing Options (5/5)
Websites for Organizations
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF documents. If you don’t have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you may download it for FREE. Please click on the image below. Do NOT install McAfee that is already checked. UNCHECK it. You do NOT need McAfee, JUST READER!